Monday, April 26, 2010

Teaching is Not a Life Commitment

When I was a new teacher I spent an average of ten hours a day at school. That does not include weekends, when I often put in an additional half-day. I would arrive in the morning before most staff, other than the chief custodian. I would stay late and have a fast-food dinner on the way home. Not the best for my health, but I didn't really think about it. I was thirty-one, in good health, full of energy, and single. I was also three thousand miles from home, so I had no social life. Many of my colleagues were married so I didn't hang out with them. The single ones were not so new to teaching as I, and we really didn't have much else in common.

After that first year, I moved home and eventually went to work for my current employer. As the years went by, I continued to put in long hours at school. I also remained single. The average length of work-day gradually decreased, but not rapidly. When I turned forty, still a single man, I thought, "I'm still not married, but no biggie. I'm a good guy, educated, have a steady job, own a house, and I like kids. Ummmm, why am I not meeting eligible women?"

To make a long story short, I'm now married. We have a healthy, energetic five year old son. Really, really energetic. We have a house with a yard, both of which need upkeep. We both have families, friends, and interests which need attention. I still arrive at work earlier than required, leave later than required, and I work on weekends, but the hours are fewer. I don't expect to ever be recognized as a star educator. I'm no Jaime Escalante. I don't want to be. What I want is to be recognized for what I do well. Then I want to be told, with manners and respect for my education, experience, and humanity, what I need to do better. I want to be given a chance to fix those weaknesses in a way that makes sense to me. I don't want to feel manipulated by legislation, bureaucrats, or politicians, and most of all, I don't want to be the target of threats, insults, or intimidation by educational leaders or parents. That's not an unreasonable expectation, is it?

No comments: