Friday, November 17, 2006

Western Scrub Jay


Less than half an hour ago I pulled into my driveway, opened the door, and started gathering my things, when a flash of blue swooped into the yard and landed on the garage. The Western Scrub Jay looked around warily, then hopped the short distance down to my tray feeder. It paused just long enough to grab my camera from the floor of my pickup and snap a picture. It then flew to a nearby tree and on to a taller tree where it was out of sight.

Over the past five years or so, I've watched this species becoming more and more common in our community. It wasn't that long ago that the farthest north it had been reported was Olympia. They seem to be quite happy around human development, so I find myself wondering if that is a factor in expanding their range. I am not personally aware of reported sightings of this species in local undeveloped areas.


No comments: